Re: [Amps] Hunter 2000c Bandit

To: "Charles Harpole" <k4vud@hotmail.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Hunter 2000c Bandit
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:06:48 -0400
Yeah, they did a lot of things different back then when hams had to learn
more than how to plug a checkbook radio and amp into the wall.

Solid state was still in the future for the most part, tube exciters could
load into untuned GG amps, IMD was poorly understood (which it still is by
most of whats allowed on the air), and tuning using just a relative power
meter to peak the output was as good as a grid meter for glass tube amps
using a pair of 3-400, 3-500 or a quad of 572B's.
 With an 8877 or the 8874 family it could get you into a world of hurts real
fast. Even several Alphas did not have grid protection circuits.

Carl
KM1H