Re: [Amps] Lines Voltage High

To: "jerry@tr2.com" <jerry@tr2.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Lines Voltage High
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 15:49:17 -0700 (PDT)
Having spent 10-years with TXU, the electric company for almost half the State
of Texas:

The ambient line voltage for most major electric companies has been 125-volts
+/- 2-volts for decades.  Because of the additional load from air-conditioning
during the warmer months the voltage is usually on the high side.  Now solar
generation may play a role in California.  However, in most of the country
solar generation from homeowners, etc., is so insignificant that it is not
going to affect the line voltage.

The ambient line voltage in this country has not been 110-volts for a long
time.  This voltage has been increased from 110-volts to 115-volts, then to
117-volts, then 120-volts, then 122-volts, and finally, today, 125-volts.  The
primary reason for increasing the voltage is that the customer pays by the
kilowatt-hour.  Modern appliances require more kilowatt-hours and the
distribution lines (the lines supplying the power to your house) have a fixed
resistance which drop the voltage as the current goes higher.  To supply the
higher kilowatt-hour requirements and to keep the voltage from sagging, the
ambient line voltage has increased.  It is VERY expensive to replace the
distribution lines so the least expensive way of supplying more power is to
increase the voltage.

Collins specifications call for 115-volts or 230-volts on the 30L-1.  However,
the linear can handle a wider range of voltages than the specifications.
 Remember, the 30L-1 was used in a lot of military applications where the line
voltage varies all over the place.  If one is worried about the line voltage,
then it is very easy to add a voltage "bucking" transformer to drop the input
voltage.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com