Re: [Amps] filament instant heating query / simple remedy

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament instant heating query / simple remedy
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:38:47 +0930
All good points you make here Jim.

When it comes to the small desktop amps like the SB220 and TL922 having
separate filament transformers I find that inserting a pair of GE CL-60 NTC
thermistors in each leg of the filament transformer primary winding provides
a simple remedy for implementing a soft-start. The observed glow of the two
3-500Z filaments comes up nice and slow as the thermistors warm up...no big
surge in brightness at initial turn on as it was with the stock design.

This is in addition to a simple short-duration resistor / AC relay coil
style step-start to both the HV and filament xfmrs timed predominantly from
the HV electrolytic charge up time constant. This relieves the inrush
current surge stress on the front panel ON/OFF switch contacts and the
electrolytic capacitor bank.

BTW Roger, the 4CX3000A / 8169 is a nice tube in the tetrode class; just a
pity the damn breechblock sockets are not so easy to source and cost a lot
of dBs.

Cheers,

Leigh
VK5KLT