Re: [Amps] Antennae (?)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Antennae (?)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 19:23:27 -0400
On 7/12/2012 8:00 PM, Jerry Kaidor wrote:
>> The most effective ball on the top of the vertical is the copper float
>> from
>> a toilet.  Especially appropriate when using 8 sweep tubes in parallel.
>
> *** Or six 3-500Zs?

Sounds kinda fragile.  I'd go for the 3CW20,000A7 myself.
And there is a real reason for the ball on top. The prevent, or minimize
corona discharge at those higher powers, even the legal limit on a
mobile whip.

Running the legal limit on multi band, stub tuned verticals can get
colorful. I burned the plastic caps off the ends on one.  All they
needed was a 1/2" or 3/4" aluminum ball in place of the cap.

BTW what material would make a good core for the matching transformer to
run from 160 through six?

73

Roger (K8RI)