[Amps] corona on a quad

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] corona on a quad
From: Kathy Bookmiller <wb2aio@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:02:32 -0700 (PDT)
Years ago I built a 4 el quad using bamboo spreaders. Put it up in diamond
configuration. Worked great but one day noticed my swr had gone bad, cranked it
down for a look and saw the driven element had burned 6" off ends on the driven
element at the top. Fed it at the bottom corner. I wasn't running super power,
just a MLA2500 amp. Redid the end with some type of plastic tubing I had and
didn't have that happen again until a high wind destroyed the quad. Best
antenna I ever had but way to much maintenance, besides the burning spreaders:)
Kathy