Re: [Amps] Changes to the 3CX1200 tube

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Changes to the 3CX1200 tube
From: John Becker <johnb3030@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:14:34 -0500
> Yes indeed Dick....instant-on thoriated tungsten filament tubes are nice!
>
> But alas, the rather pricey 3CX1200 can't be second-sourced :-(

Not only that, apparently none of the tube rebuilders will rebuild a bad
one. I know Econco was rebuilding them at one time, because I have a
picture of a 3CX1200Z7 which has their stamp on it, but they now say
they won't rebuild one. I've also checked with Freeland, Zonum,  and
Economy Electronics with the same result.

Henry and Ameritron seem to be the only ham manufacturers who have used
the 3CX1200. If it had been adopted more widely, perhaps the price
wouldn't have soared as much as it has. I wonder why that didn't happen?
Instant-on and having a robust grid structure are two strong points in
its favor.

73, John, K9MM