Re: [Amps] [ham_amplifiers] RE: 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] [ham_amplifiers] RE: 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 09:26:29 -0400
   Leigh Turner wrote:

> Hi Carl,

> But this is a technical forum for homebrew amplifier builders and
> experimenters, so why do you continually make repeated reference to
> commercial amplifier companies in your posts?

   I'm not Carl  KM1H, but as we discuss amplifier design repairs and
modifications, (such as changing the tube type) ignoring the practices
and design features from professional broadcast equipment design
engineers (and others) is turning our backs on a wealth of knowledge.
   For instance, the use of a 10,000 Watt dissipation tube at 15 or 18
thousand Volts to produce 25,000 watts of power at 108 MHz (operated
class "C") demonstrates extending the plate supply Voltages extends the
efficiency and maximum obtainable power of a tube.
And:  even though many commercial broadcast transmitters are turned on
and run for months without being turned off, the control circuits have
time delay relays for a slow warm up and a slow cold down.   (including
operating the cooling after the filament power is removed)
 From these features (including extensive tube protection circuits) we
can choose to incorporate any features we choose, but first it would be
nice to hear how these things work.

--
Ron - KA4INM