Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3CX1500A7/8877 vs el cheapo GS-35B
From: "David H Craig" <davidhcraig@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:38:07 -0400
        My turn to kick the ball- comparing the 8877 to a GS35b is like
apples vs oranges.  The Russian tube has a mu of 13 vs 20 for the 8877.  The
tradeoff- durability & max QRG rating.  Exceed the published grid current on
an Eimac tube for even a short time & presto, one very expensive shelf
display, and at minimum, another "pull" [read "used"] tube.  In contrast, I
don't even measure grid current on my HB GS35b
amps, and I haven't killed one yet.
    A decent 8877 will put out well over 2.4kw, whereas I have never seen a
GS35b put out over 1.8kw.  On 6m anyway.
    If you want to increase the cost of a HB monoband amp with tube
protective circuitry, might as well use an 8877 (which needs the protection)
& get the extra
headroom.
    You won't save anything on the power supply side either way, if you
build an amp capable of pushing a tube to its full potential, at least at
VHF.  I run 4400 VDC on the plate of my primary 50 MHz monoband GS35b- a
friend's Henry 3006 (8877) runs ~4200 VDC no load, 3.9-4kv keydown.  Another
GS35b amp I built runs plate voltage <3kvdc under full load. As it
approaches max output plate current approaches 1 ampere.  The higher plate
voltage GS amp draws less plate current, as expected, and is a tad more
efficient.
    The 8877 requires a socket- my GS35b mounts directly to the RF deck
divider plate thru a single drilled hole.  If you prefer not to cut a
mounting hole, make grid clamp blocks, cathode ring clamps &
drill/enlarge airholes, there are plenty of GS35b HB "sockets" on the web to
spend your money on.
    As for air flow & associated noise, my GS amp w/ ~120 cfm blower is
plenty quiet.  At about $70.00 new I got what I paid for.  The AC unit in
the shack is by far the biggest source of noise, when my kids aren't around
anyway...  Another GS35b I built had a 3CX800 sized blower on it- if limited
to ~1kw output it could, and did contest all day w/ no thermal drift.  That
4 lb copper anode
cooler provides a lot of room for error.  Would anyone care to test an 8877
at a lower than recommended airflow & backpressure rating at full output?
    Both tubes are what they are.  If one has a personal preference, sobeit.
Trying to ramrod it, however, makes as much sense as those Bart Simpson
window stickers on many Ford & Chevy trucks.  Amusing but pointless.

    73 Dave N3DB