Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B project - swamped grid

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B project - swamped grid
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:55:13 -0600
Hank,

I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong but I believe the problem
is the changing input impedance the tube/FET etc. throughout the RF
cycle for all classes of operation except heavy class A. This dynamic
changing impedance causes the exciter to generate IMD to the amplifier
which then gets amplified.  This is why we pad the impedance and match
to it with  circuits having a larger Q than would be necessary to just
do a match.

If you build an SWR circuit in your simulation software such as the
"tandem match" circuit which consists of 2 coupled transformers and no
capacitors you can see the change in SWR throughout the RF cycle.  Also
since this is a simulation a resistive SWR circuit will work fine to
show the changing SWR.   A truly constant 2:1 SWR does not generate IMD
but a varying 1.2 to 1.5:1 SWR will generate some IMD.

This is how I understand the problem.

73,
Larry, W0QE