Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B project - swamped grid

To: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B project - swamped grid
From: peter chadwick <g8on@fsmail.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:24:11 +0200
Larry,
Thanks. According to Pappenfus, the change in input capacity in 4CX250B due to
variation in electron density between grid and cathode is about 0.1pF, which
can cause problems with distortion ratios as low as -50dB - so is negligible in
practice. But amplitude non-linearity leads, in the case of a incompletely
neutralised stage, to the input impedance caused by Miller effect  changing in
capacity, and this leads to phase distortion. I would have thought that with
reasonable neutralising, this effect would be negligible, but I suppose it does
depend on how far down one is looking. It is suggested that  swamping
resistance is the answe - I asked because I didn't think tha poor neutralising
would be accepted.
In the case of the GG stage, running AB2, the whole thing is variable over the
RF and modulation cycles of course.
73
Peter G3RZP
Message Received: Aug 11 2012, 02:02 PM