[Amps] 87a will tell you, too - measuring overshoot

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 87a will tell you, too - measuring overshoot
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:43:11 -0600
I'm a big fan of Tektronix scopes. Have been through my share, including 465,
various 7603,23,33 etc. Problems with the old ones include non-obtainium ICs as
well as difficulty in repairing them, due to the use of so many small cables
with connectors, boards that are under other boards, and dedicated custom ICs.
I still have a couple of them running with my favorite 7L5 and 7L14 spectrum
analyzer plug-ins. I broke down and bought a TDS3000 series dual channel 300
MHz DSOs 5 years ago on Ebay. That scope has been incredible, the cats meow for
most uses. I hardly use the tube scopes anymore. Same is true at work, most of
them were salvaged some years ago.

At a recent hamfest, i saw knockoff DSOs of Tek made by Rigol of Beijing. I
wouldn't trust these for calibration and use at work, but wow, the prices were
incredible. Nearly all models up to 100 MHz with multiple channels for under a
kilobuck. I think the 100 Mhz can be had for about $400 or less. Thats only 3-4
times what a surplus 475 or 485 might be had for, and it not only works 100%
but has some warranty.
73
John
K5PRO