Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B grid current

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Question re GU-74B grid current
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:10:00 -0400
On 10/22/2012 8:48 PM, Carl wrote:

Thats being rather polite about it (-;

Carl
KM1H

71% overall efficiency is remarkable for a class AB1 amplifier.

I was going to say something similar, but I think Carl has it about covered! <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)

On 10/22/2012 12:10 PM, Val wrote:
Jim,

ACOM1000 and ACOM2000A are without doubt the most popular amplifiers
based on GU74B. Many thousands of them are working under the
following conditions at1000W output:
Plate  2350-2400V
Screen 340V
Anode current 510-580mA
Bias between -45 and -65V for 220 mA idling current (the EBS keeps
the bias between -65 and -75V for idling current of 70 mA when no RF
drive)
Normally the grid current is well below 10mA where the grid
protection trips.

73, Val LZ1VB

Could somebody advise me as to the resting plate current and
operating ctrl
grid bias voltage they are using on a GU-74B (plate voltage is
2500V, screen
grid 300V)? Also, does the tube draw grid current? I realize that in
AB1, no
grid current should be drawn, but the tube characteristic curves
predict
about 15mA grid current at full output (1000W output, 600mA anode
current
(per tube) and 250W resting dissipation. I am interesting in what
builders
are actually getting, and not information from data or spec sheets.

Tnx and 73,

Jim W8ZR

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA