[Amps] Vacuum relay replacement

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Vacuum relay replacement
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 01:35:00 -0400
Finding the bugs in my newly acquired amp. Today I found I could
transmit but couldn't receive & I tracked the problem to amp and the
with further inspection, to the Kilovac T/R. I think Jennings RJ1A
relays were in the original Alpha PA-77 so I think it's been changed
before.

Discovered the relay was locked in the transmit position and there
was continuity between COM & NO and none between COM & NC. the K3
received properly when shorting COM & NC. Took a screwdriver and
placed that on the NO terminal & gave it a light whack & that freed
the relay and it's back to working. I'm guessing this relay has been
a problem before and it'll surely fail again so I'm going to replace
it with a different one.

I've been looking at the specs on different 8ms relays that fit and
the RJ1A-26N969 which is the RJ1A with a silicone coated top is
supposed to be rated for 10kv as opposed to the RJ1A at 5kv, other
than that they are the same relay. Seems like it would be an ideal
replacement but anyone know a reason I shouldn't use this one?

Thanks,

Gary
KA1J