Re: [Amps] The GU84B and GU78B tubes

To: <gdaught6@stanford.edu>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The GU84B and GU78B tubes
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 08:56:47 -0400

Leigh wrote...

< snip >

The 4CX1600A/B was a re-badged GU91B (a very fine linear SSB tube
before supply totally dried up)

Not THAT fine!  Compare IMD numbers with an 8877 or 3cx800.

** Some actually believe that a -30 to 32 IMD is excellent!

and that fabricated transmutation came about
through the shenanigans and missteps of the ill-conceived and
short-lived Svetlana US venture lead by entrepreneur
George Badger to tap into the then vast repository stores of NOS
surplus military stocks.

Don't blame W6TC for that!  Set your focus on Svetlana USA in Huntsville.

And I believe that some (many? most? all?) of the 4CX1600B's were actually made
to Svetlana USA's order, not just relabeled military stock.

** As I mentioned yesterday, they duplicated the Eimac anode design

Carl
KM1H

The 4CX800A's were
often (usually? always?) relabeled milsurp. Again, this are my beliefs, not solid
facts.

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)