Re: [Amps] Most power ever run on amateur radio :-)

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Most power ever run on amateur radio :-)
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 19:29:20 +0100 (CET)
I earn part of my living in aeronautical HF since the early 80's.

In the mid 80's the 30 kW PEP Telefunken self-tune ransmitters used
in
Sweden
were upgraded with new exciters and a remote control system which
permitted free frequency selections within the antenna bandwidths.

A lot of confidence was certainly put into the operators...

One of  the radio amateurs and operators at Stockholm Radio scanned
the upper part of
20 meters SSB during some idle time and heard a rare DX in the Far
East. It took a moment's notice
to enter the  proper frequency, select the Bangkok-aimed rhombic and
make a call.

The DX returned, and since this was in the era when all DX signal
reports were not "59"
a honest report of 57 was returned, which dismayed the operator very
much.

This is the hoghest power level which I have heard of locally.
One of the 30 kW transmitters is now in private hands after the
decommissioning of the transmitter site.

I however doubt that the new owner has access to a 120 m leg rhombic
at 80 m height...

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM