Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Choke input filters, design criteria?
From: Chris Wilson <chris@chriswilson.tv>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 19:10:44 +0000

> yes the Henrys used resonant choke filters.  This helps explain it:

> http://www.qsl.net/i0jx/supply.html

> There was a nice article in QST in June 1946 about how to get the
> inductance of a "mystery" choke using some math, a multimeter, an AC
> microampere meter, and 120 v. service but since you have 240 you'd
> have to work with one side of that if the UK has neutral return (four
> wire service).

> If you can get access to QST on-line:  "How Much Inductance?  A simple
> method for measuring unknown filter chokes" by George H. Floyd W6OJK/2
> June 1946 QST p. 69 and 132.

> 73

> Rob
> K5UJ

20/12/2012 19:05

I am an ARRL member (much better than the RSGB...), so have access to
the database. I have printed off the article and done the maths for
50Hz mains. My only concern is whether to put our UK 240V mains across
the choke, or use a Variac and drop it to 115V? I'll probably try it
with a Variac first, then see how much current it draws. Thanks for
the link. I have also found something similar at:

http://dalmura.com.au/projects/THE%20MEASUREMENT%20OF%20CHOKE%20COIL%20INDUCTANCE.pdf

Which is similar, but goes into more depth about the whys and
wherefores. Thanks very much for posting Rob!

--
       Best Regards,
                   Chris Wilson.