[Amps] Resonant chokes

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Resonant chokes
From: "Bob" <bobt@iafrica.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 19:44:57 +0200
Hi guys,
              I went through the measurement of DC chokes awhile back on
this forum. Any measurements you make with AC doesn't mean much unless there
is some DC involved. There is only one practical method of doing this that I
know of( the other requires a test choke ~ X10 times the size of the choke
that you want to test). I went through this in some detail (search ZS6BXI
and DC choke). To do the test you need a big source of stored energy (big
cap bank) or a big battery/supply. Basically you connect the choke across a
DC supply (usually with a thyristor) and measure the current rise with a
digital storage scope, the slope of the curve gives you the dI/dT at the
point you are interested in and another probe the voltage across the choke
at the same point then you use L = E dI/dT.

Regards Bob ZS6BXI

dangerous content by Pinpoint, and is
believed to be clean.