Re: [Amps] hf-2500

To: "'Larry Benko'" <xxw0qe@comcast.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] hf-2500
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:22:21 -0500
I have an old TMC amplifier with a pair of 3-500 tubes. It originally had a
toroid tank that had turns shorted for the higher bands. The core was quite
large. The tank covered 160 - 15 meters. Efficiency got poor on 40 meters
and worse as you went higher. I added an air wound copper coil for 20 and 15
meters and efficiency improved. I think the only place I short turns on the
toriod now is for 40 and 80 meters. Yes it got hot too.

W8JI says that shorting turns on a toroid is not a good thing to do. He said
that shorted turns on an air coil cause much less of a problem because there
is considerable flux leakage on the air coil.

73
Gary  K4FMX