Re: [Amps] Mounting Plate for a 3CX3000A7

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Mounting Plate for a 3CX3000A7
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:58:37 -0500
I was 95% finished with a 3CX3000A7 amp when I met up with the big D
and I had to unload most all of my ham equipment in the fallout. What
I did for a chimney for it though was pretty much ideal and it was
cheap.

I found (In Walmarts I think it was) a replacement glass chimney for
a mantle gas lantern. I picked one out that was as close to the anode
size that I could find. I mounted the tube in the RF deck and taped
the chimney securely to the deck so it fit equidistant from the
anode. I had earlier run some olive oil on the anode where the top of
the chimney rested.

I then used the red, high temperature silicone caulk to make a seal
between the glass and the anode. I smoothed out the top side by
running my finger around the caulk and then letting it cure for 24
hours. The caulk did attach firmly to the glass but didn't attach to
the anode because of the olive oil & the olive oil came off
everything with soap and water. It made an air tight seal and looked
like it was an OEM product.

Gary
KA1J