[Amps] MOVs

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] MOVs
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 09:50:39 -0800
I have a power supply that needs to work here in the US and in Israel, where power is supplied as one phase of 240V plus a safety ground. I am not sure if one of the 240V lines is grounded as well. The power supply doesn't require 120V for anything, so there's no neutral.

What is the correct way and ratings for MOVs to protect against line transients?

Here in the US I would use a 130V MOV from each hot wire to ground. But clearly that wouldn't work in a place where one side of the 240V line is grounded.

I suspect (but am not 100% sure) that the standards in Israel are similar if not the same as in the UK.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA