Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B help needed...high screen current in HF-8020 PA

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500B help needed...high screen current in HF-8020 PA
From: "Paul" <radioboy@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:11:07 -0800
Hi all,

I dug into it again today and FINALLY found where the screen I is measured.
It's in the PS manual, not the PA. I found the current is measured in the
ground leg of the screen supply thru a 383R. It's opamp based and I haven't
traced it beyond this yet but at least I found it.

I had 3 or 4 fellows suggest that the tube may be gassy, and to run it with
operating voltages but no RF drive. I tried this for about 3 hours today and
so far and the current is down to half of what it was. Yeah! Hopefully that
is it. I'm going to run it for 3-4 more hours to see what happens, then
maybe overnight.

Thanks again for your help everyone.  I'll let you know tomorrow, the
results.

Paul
VE7KHz