Re: [Amps] Ten Tec Titan 425 Fuses Blew

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ten Tec Titan 425 Fuses Blew
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 18:05:17 -0800
More thoughts. I have three 425s, two of which are active in my SO2R contesting station. It's not unusual for both fuses to flow due to spikes on the power line. It's also very common for both fuses to blow when there's nothing really wrong with the amp. They don't blow often -- typically months apart, or even much longer intervals.

Several thoughts. Buy a bunch of 20A fuses from an industrial vendor. Also buy some 30A fuses.Most problems that blow fuses will blow both of them, because they are in series with the 240V line. If it's just a power line problem, or you're troubleshooting something other than the transformer, you can go through a lot of fuses before you nail the problem. I keep a 20A fuse on one side of the line and a 30A fuse on the other. Saves a lot of fuses.

You can check for shorts in the tubes by pulling one or both of them and firing up the amp. The amp runs just fine on one tube, you just get less power out and the tuning changes slightly.

Like Bob says, work slowly and carefully around the HV.

One thing that causes fuses to blow is a short or an arc in the RF deck, and that can often fry one or two of the traces on a low voltage board in the power supply. If things aren't firing up, you should inspect this. There are specific notes about this on the Titan 425 schematics on my website. http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm The schematics come straight from the Ten Tec manual, but everything is shown on that same page, making it MUCH easier to trace and troubleshoot. Which is why I did it -- I was going nuts with those separate pages.

73, Jim K9YC