[Amps] Expert 1k amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Expert 1k amp
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq72@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 08:50:10 +0000
Yesterday I did some minor repairs to a friend's amp - resoldering joints on the current sensing resistor. Looking at the circuits later I noticed that the main supply voltage is regulated by having SCRs in place of diodes rectifying the transformer secondary and the main smoothing capacitor is 47000uF.

My friend tells me the amp runs over 40A at full tilt, which means something like 8.5V ripple on the supply (7V at 60Hz). That strikes me as quite high and I'd expect to see some difference in amplifier gain/output if I was running such an amp off a regulated supply and altered the voltage that much. Has anyone measured one? Is any 100/120Hz audible on a carrier?

Steve