[Amps] Honda 2000i Portable Use

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Honda 2000i Portable Use
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 16:53:29 -0800
On 3/8/2013 3:37 PM, John G3UUT wrote:
I'm mainly interested in this subject because I like operating portable with my Honda Eu2000i (about 2 kVA) generator.

Hi John,

There are a lot of Honda 2000i generators in our contest club (based near San Francisco), and we use them for California QSO Party county expeditions. We typically run a K3 driving power amps in the 600W range, have three stations going, and dedicate one Honda to each station. So far, over a period of about four years, our group has used Acom 1000, Herc II with an industrial-grade 100A switching PSU, Elecraft KPA500, and a vintage Yaesu amp in that power range (not mine, don't know if it's hollow state or solid) . All of these amps have run just fine on both CW and SSB for the duration of the contest (about 30 hours, as I recall). With this load we must run the Hondas at full speed (that is, not Econo Mode). The KPA500 has a linear supply that can be strapped for 120V or 240V and is happy with 50 or 60 Hz.

We also find it important to run the generator output cable through a good ferrite choke to kill RF noise.

Honda 2000i generators sold in North America have inverters that provide 120V out.

73, Jim K9YC