Re: [Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket

To: "'Pete Smith N4ZR'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Coupling a blower to an air system socket
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:20:18 -0000
>I *think* I have read (here?) that there is a big difference between
the physics of
>pressurized and unpressurized systems in this respect.  Is there anyone
out there
>who understands this and can comment?
>
>73, Pete N4ZR

There is a big difference in cooling efficiency between the turbulent
air that comes directly out of the blower, and the same volume of smooth
flowing air coming out of a long duct. However, that doesn't negate all
the advantages of mounting a bigger blower remotely.

Another very effective method of cooling is to blow air directly into a
sealed anode compartment. Most of the air flows upward through the anode
cooler and is vented directly to the outside through a chimney ABOVE the
anode cooler. There is NO chimney between the base and the anode cooler.
Meanwhile 25-30% of the air flow is allowed to bleed downward through
the tube socket to cool the base seals. This method reduces the back
pressure on the blower, and allows it to deliver much more air than the
conventional base-upward layout.  It has been used very successfully for
decades in VHF and UHF amps - so much so, it is regarded as "the normal
method".

73 from Ian GM3SEK

like rubber?
>>> Or (what intrigues me) how about a fabric transition duct as shown
in