[Amps] instability issue - a bit more info

To: "'' amps ''" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] instability issue - a bit more info
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:01:27 -0400
On a suggestion I checked the oscillation with a scope. It agrees with my frequency counter - oscillation around 400 - 450 kHz.

I failed to add in my first post... when this problem occurred during "normal" operation on 12M, the amp seemed stable during transmissions, apparently taking off at the moment of transition back to receive. That in mind, I am wondering if I should investigate the timing of relay and bias switching. This behavior may suggest the vacuum relay contact on the amp is opening before cutoff bias is applied.

The other really ugly thing I failed to mention is that this oscillation would then continue until I toggled the amp operate/standby switch to standby. I suspect this LF RF is getting into places where there should not be RF.

73,
Paul

--
Paul Kelley, N1BUG