Re: [Amps] FW: 4CX5000A in common grid circuit

To: "Markku Oksanen" <ww1c@outlook.com>, amps@contesting.com <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: 4CX5000A in common grid circuit
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 19:00:46 -0600
Hi
I am back from the underground. Much of my experience has been at VHF, 100-200
Mhz range. However, same applies for HF, except neutralization and circuits are
different. Tetrodes work well in grounded grid or grounded cathode, as long as
the DC ratings are cared for and the grids have proper bias.

I am presently using two tetrodes in grounded grid cavity circuits as linear
amplifiers. These are modern ceramic metal tetrodes, larger than hams would
use.  They both have gains of 25-30 depending on voltages and tuning. That's 14
to 14.7 dB of power gain. Screen grid has full DC as does control grid, with RF
bypasses to ground (in cavity circuits).

In the 1980s at Broadcast Electronics, I ran the 4CX3500A tetrode from Eimac in
2 circuits, a grounded cathode and a grounded (common) grid. The output cavity
was same for each, only different socket deck. The tube is an offshoot of the
4CX5000A design, shorter with lower inductances and better VHF characteristics.
With 5200 volts on the anode and some screen voltage (memory fails me), the
gain in grounded grid (for RF) was 17.8 (12.5 dB) and in grounded cathode (grid
driven) was 37 (15.7 dB). We chose the latter for our transmitter at 3 - 6 kW
power rating.

73
John
K5PRO