[Amps] German amp using ARF1500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] German amp using ARF1500
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 05:29:44 -0700
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:19:12 -0700
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] German amp using ARF1500

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:08:41 +0300, Baruch wrote:

>I wish you luck
>look at what this German guy did
>I have used this device too ,had good results.
>BTW the cap needs to be bigger than 680uF
>regards

REPLY:

The cap on eBay is 6800, not 680 uF. I figure with 6800 and 120 Hz input the
ripple should be about 1.5% using the formula at
http://www.ehow.com/how_8386631_calculate-ripple-dc-power-supply.htm
If that's not enough, I'll add another cap.

Thanks for the other info. I have a friend who speaks German, I'll ask him
to translate. All encouraging so far.

73, Bill W6WRT

###  Bill, if you require  some BIG lytics,   http://www.rjrelectronics.com/
has loads of em, surplus..and still new in box.
10,000 UF  @ 450 vdc.   Aprx   3 inch in diam  x  9 inch tall.    They come
with a  half inch or  5/8 inch threaded stud
sticking out the bottom.  That makes for EASY mounting   to anything,  Machine
screw terminals used  for the plus + minus.
I think they use  1/4-20 or  1/4-28  machine screws instead of the usual 10-32.

##  forget what I paid,  something like  $15 to $20.    Think they were 16  or
20A   CCS ripple current rating, and ESR is
extremely low, just a few milliohms each.   I measured the ESR on lytics  using
my B+K 875B  digital lcr meter.  It measures
AC resistance instead of the usual dc resistance....and does it down to 3 x
decimal places.   Done at 1 khz.

##  I bought 9 caseloads of em, and 6 caps  per case.    24 used in series to
make one bank....for a  7700 vdc  B+  supply.
I put another 24 caps in there to make a 2nd bank of caps.   Then paralleled
the two banks of caps, to make a 832 uf  filter.
Each bank is fed via a Buss  HVU sand filled HV fuse.
24.6 k joules  in total for this config. .   Glitch R consists of 4 parallel
Type AS energy absorbing globars.  200 ohms each.
1.5 inch diam x 18 inch long. Each resistor rated for 225w ccs...or 900 w ccs
for the total assy.
Each resistor rated for 119 K joule..and   120 kv.   476 k joule in total.

##  Glitch R  assy preceded with a Buss  sand filled  HVU series HV fuse.   And
yes, you can short the output, from B+ to B-
and all that happens is the HV blows open, no fuss, no muss.   Vac contactor
used to conduct that  experiment.

##  A pair of  10 inch diam fans, one above the other is used to cool both the
4 x 18 inch tall globars and also the entire HV cab,
plate xfmr etc.  An air filter used at back end of cabinet.  Fans on front suck
the air out the front.

## parallel all 3 poles on a 3 pole contactor to make one big spst contactor
assy.   3 x such assy’s constructed.  One assy placed
in each hot leg of the incoming 240 vac.  3rd assy used for the step start.
Step start R  consists of 6 x parallel 20 ohm resistors,
300w metal finned type.  The rest is pretty conventional.  Surplus 3 pole
contactors with either 120 vac or 220 vac coils are
readily available with 135A to 300A contact ratings.

##  the above hv supply is for educational purposes, and used for various HV
experiments. It could also be used for broadcast,
Mars, Embassy, medical and  military applications.   ( good, that oughta keep
KM1H happy).

Later... Jim  VE7RF