Re: [Amps] Electronic bias circuit shematic

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Electronic bias circuit shematic
From: Vic K2VCO <k2vco.vic@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:52:47 -0700
I don't like the idea of RF-operated EBS systems because it seems to me very hard to avoid distortion at the beginning of a CW character or syllable when the system first opens. What I have done in my last few projects is to drop the bias from cutoff to operating level along with the t/r switching of the QSK/VOX system. Since there must be a few ms delay built into this circuit before and after the start of RF, there is plenty of time for the bias to change. I don't see how an RF operated system can have any advantage over this, and it is much simpler -- it can be done with a couple of transistors or a reed relay.