[Amps] Electron vs. Current Flow

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Electron vs. Current Flow
From: Matthew McCloskey <hidesertdrifter@live.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 13:57:59 -0600

When I went to USAF electronics school (1957-1958), very little of the
curriculum included Semiconductor theory,
and of course it did teach Electron flow.  About 2 years later we were sent to
classes in Semiconductor theory,
and I had a heck of a time understanding it because of my training in Electron
theory.  I used a method
to remember the difference between an NPN, and PNP Symbols using Electron
theory.  Since Electrons flows against the Arrow,
when the Arrow points to the Emitter it is a NPN, because an Electron travels
from Neg (Emitter) to Pos.
(Base), and visa versa.  So using this convention I managed to have a hard time
understanding Semiconductors because
I applied Electron flow to them. I could troubleshoot them using test points
and voltages from a schematic, butthey were always a black art to me. Well
after reading all the posts in this reflector, I decided to apply Current flow
theory to Semiconductors and re-read the ARRL handbook section on solid state
devices.  Well guys the Transistor is not a black art anymore, its just in the
gray zone although I still do use electron theory for tubes.  I can look at a
transistor drawing and make sense of it now, and I want to thank all of youfor
opening my mind to use both conventions, depending on the circuit configuration
i.e.-tube or semiconductor.In my case It makes a big difference in
understanding how solid state circuits work. I've been fascinated with
electronics since I was a kid, but I am very mechanical in my thinking, and if
I can't SEE some thing doing its thing, I have a hard time understanding it.
Call me ignorant, or slow (I am both), but its been a difficult love
 affair with electronics. MattAD7XN