[Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, suppl

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Re Direct rectification of AC mains to derive the amp, VDD, supply
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:43:05 +0000
Peter,

Much as I respect Manfred, I think he is "pushing things" a bit far -
at least for "Joe Q. Ham".

I can't help but keep defending my point of view!

Consider the following situations:

1.- A ham amplifier that uses the directly rectified mains, or perhaps the 350V output from a power factor correction circuit (non-insulated) to power a floating RF power module, insulated from the rest of the world by its RF transformers. The whole thing housed in a metal enclosure, connected to safety ground.

2.- A ham amplifier that uses a conventional transformer-input power supply to power an RF module that's connected to the metal enclosure. This enclosure is connected to safety ground.

3.- A ham amplifier that uses a switching power supply with power transistor circuitry directly connected to the line, and a 50kHz transformer providing insulation, to power an RF module that's connected to the metal enclosure. This enclosure is connected to safety ground.

4.- A washing machine that powers its motors, heater, valves, level sensors, etc, directly off the mains, with insulation provided inside each device. Housed in a metal enclosure, connected to safety ground.

Peter, can you tell me where's the difference, in terms of safety, between these four devices? Each of them has a single level of insulation between the mains and ground, each of them involves windings in a transformer or motor, and lots of wiring, and each of them uses the grounded metal enclosure to drain off any leakage current, and trip a ground fault interrupter or even the main circuit breaker, if necessary. There is no fundamental difference between any of them.

But there is some difference in the details: The washing machine has many more possible points of insulation failure, than any of the amplifiers. Also the washing machine operates with water, will be touched by people with wet hands, possibly even standing on a wet floor, and will usually be operated by a housewife, who cannot be expected to know anything about electrical safety. Even Joe Q. Ham knows more about this! So the washing machine is BY FAR the most dangerous of these four devices!

And which one is the safest? The ham amplifier with the switching power supply has a small transformer packed full of magnet wire. I know from experience that it takes some good design and construction to achieve 4kV of insulation in such a transformer. If badly designed or built, the insulation can fail by creepage at much lower levels.

The amplifier with the conventional power supply, just as the washing machine, use iron cores inside the magnet wire windings. So, in addition to direct wire-to-wire shorts in a transformer, these devices can suffer from wire-to-core shorts.

The amp with the 50kHz transformer is only slightly better, because the ferrite used for power conversion is slightly conductive.

But the amp using the RF transformers for insulation is the safest of all, because its transformer cores are non-conductive, and the windings that need to be insulated have only very few turns, and have enough room around them to accomodate a thick insulation.

Surprise!  ;-)

I think that the reluctance of some people to accept line-connected electronics stems only from gut feeling, and not from a cool-headed analysis of the advantages and disadvantages. Unfortunately all electronicians are taught to think in a grounded frame: There is ground in every circuit, everything is referenced to ground, bypassed to ground, dumped into ground, etc. Ground is our good friend who swallows all bad signals, can be trusted to be always at zero volts, and so on. It can be difficult for ground-dependent electronicians to accept the concept that a ground point isn't necessary at all for electronics, and that actually that single ground point that joins one side of ALL power and signal lines is a really big problem, simply because it's technically impossible to keep all grounded spots at exactly the same potential! It would be much healthier if electronic designers would consider BOTH poles of each signal and supply line, and handle both of them intelligently, instead of joining one pole of each signal and power, and calling that point "ground". This means differential signals throughout a circuit, and floating supplies, and the lack of a common point that could be called ground. This whole electronic circuit would be treated exactly like the wiring in a house: There would be one, and only one, point where the whole circuit would be connected to physical ground, to avoid problems of static build-up and the like. But there wouldn't be any single chunk of metal to which hundreds of components connect in common.

Many electronicians can understand this, and even like it, but in their daily life and work they fall back into the old concept of using single-ended signals and referencing everything to ground. And that's a real pity!

Manfred