Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Direct rectification of AC mains to drive the amp
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:48:03 +0930
Yes again on your comments below Jim. I use a commercial Taiwanese MeanWell
3.3 kW PF corrected switcher for my 8 x VRF2933 HF S.S. amplifier. It's a
very compact unit and runs cool and is EMI / EMC quiet with no discernable
emissions. The unit meets all EU directives and international conformance
regulations.

However as Manfred points out in respect of simple rectifier-capacitor input
power supplies most practical transformers significantly improve the PF
situation compared to direct AC mains connection due to the xfmr's leakage
inductance and finite winding resistance.

Leigh
VK5KLT