Re: [Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 23:38:19 -0700
Jim,

What is failing on the relays? Is it the coil opening up, the contacts sticking, the receive side contact appearing open, or the pivot getting sloppy and the contacts bouncing too much? I have tested many relays for mechanical life (low current in the contacts) in previous employment and many exceed 20 million cycles. All the relays I have tested were made by reputable manufacturers and were generally tested at about a 15Hz rate. In a well designed amp guaranteed to not hot switch driven with the proper coil voltage the life should be very close to the mechanical life.

There is a problem using a relay as a T-R device where the receive side of the contact sees only very low current (gold plated or gold flashed contacts are best) and the transmit side sees high current (definitely not gold plated). The dilemma is what type of contact material to use. Generally the high current side rules and the low current side may need a bias current to be reliable. Often using 2 relays in parallel or bifurcated contacts will give the desired reliability.

73,
Larry, W0QE