Re: [Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Best source for Gigavac GH-1 ?
From: Jim W7RY <w7ry@centurytel.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 21:49:57 -0800
Jim
Can you tell me why sequencing is a requirement? I have found that the RF never flows (6 ms after the tranciever control circuts energise)until way after the relays and cathode bias has switched which as you have pointed out is 3-4 ms.

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

In researching the subject during the past year, I've looked at the relay
circuits of a number of commercial amplifiers. Most seem to treat T/R
switching pretty cavaliearly, without adequate protection for the relays. In my own design (the circuit mounts on a 3"x5" PCB), I've tried to prevent any situation that can damage the contacts. This involves several precautions:
(1) sequencing the amp so the output relay, bias switch, and input relay
operate sequentially in that order, after allowing for the relay closing
times and contact bounce. (2) Having an RF "lockout" sensor that prevents
the amplifier switching sequence from beginning if RF is present on the
input line. (3) Having an RF "lockon" sensor that keeps the relays closed so long as RF is present. My new amplifier completes its T/R switching in 4 mS,
which is suitable for QSK speeds up to about 60 wpm, far beyond it's
builder's capabilities.
73,
Jim W8ZR