[Amps] Bleeder resistor across screen grid terminal

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Bleeder resistor across screen grid terminal
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:08:19 -0700
Weeks ago here there was some discussion on the merit of having a shunt resistor to ground from the screen grid of a 4CX1000A. The reason that was most posted was to prevent disconnection of the screen grid from the source, resulting in momentary elevation of the screen potential.

Three years ago when I first began firing up an expensive new tetrode from France (Thales Electron Tubes) I was instructed by the manufacturer to be sure to have a shunt R across the screen grid. I seem to recall the wording used was something like 'for depolarization'. Mind you, this was a large tube with pyrolytic graphite grids, known for not being prone to primary or secondary electron emission during normal operation. As we all have experienced, wire grids can exhibit reverse current at some operating points,as evidenced by the G2 'islands' on the characteristic constant current curves on tubes like the 4XC1000 and 1500 series. With PG, all current in G2 is in the normal direction, not reversing. I had a 1800 VDC spark gap there, and it kept popping during tune up. Eventually I discovered that it was reacting to modes that were getting excited in the tube/cavity, up in L band. That is another LONG story, that got solved.

I added the big R, a series of 225 Watt resistors, as screen voltage is 1500. A fan and a series stack of diodes between this and the power supply complete the arrangement. There is also a high value shunt R across each diode. The diodes are there to prevent damage to the power supply in case of a plate to G2 arc in the tube. Couldn't use them if it was a wire-grid tube with reverse current potential. Screen power supply is a 10 kW Glassman switcher with very low stored energy (< 10 J).

At some point years ago, we used 4CX1500B as a series tube switch to a particular RF tetrode, 4616 from RCA. It was a pulsed modulator, no RF. The smaller tetrode would run into reverse current sometimes, and this led to loss of control of the big tube, rising screen voltage. A 1K ohm bleeder was added to shunt the circuit. This helped a lot. Eventually we eliminated the smaller tetrode and used a MOSFET switch.

My point being, a stiff shunt R across screen grid is a good idea, not only from the standpoint of keeping the screen always terminated during switching, but also for circuit stability. I have done it both with and without the R, but these days I prefer having the shunt R there, and burn up some screen power from the supply.

73
John
K5PRO