Re: [Amps]  Runaway Plate Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps]  Runaway Plate Current
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 09:29:49 -0700
I've not given it a lot of thought, but I'd think a cathode resistor in a
tetrode amplifier may be problemmatic. A residual cathode current (near
cutoff) through a large cathode resistor lifts the cathode to a positive
voltage with respect to ground. That effectively reduces the screen voltage
by a similar amount and also makes the grid more negative with respect to
the cathode. Both effects tend to push the tube toward cutoff. What I'm
unsure about is whether the amp might be prone to instability because of the
large cathode resistance, even near cutoff There's no problem with triodes,
but the higher voltage gain of tetrodes could possibly pose a problem. The
cathode resistor doesn't really cut the tube off entirely, but makes it
hover near cutoff.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Cathode?