Re: [Amps] Freescale

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Freescale
From: Manfred Mornhinweg <manfred@ludens.cl>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 00:26:42 +0000
Alek,

With valves, you can have them rebuilt. Ain't seen anybody that can get the smoke back into transistors.

Then we definitely have to meet some day!

When I was young, had better eyes, and was as poor as a church mouse, I begged for burned out RF transistors and repaired some of them. Very often only the bonding wires melt, and the transistor itself is still good! It's a matter of cracking open the case, and reattaching those wires. Often sufficient wire length is left that it's possible to solder bridges over them! When the bonding wires are gold, as is the case with many RF transistors, it's really easy to solder them.

But some transistors have such long bonding wires, that they can be
twisted back together!

I wouldn't use such a repaired transistor on a space mission to Mars, but for hamming it can be quite OK!

Manfred