[Amps] Electrolytic Substitutions

To: "Amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Electrolytic Substitutions
From: john starr001 <jstarr001@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 22:47:16 -0500
I am repairing an Alpha 87A and need 7 HV filter caps (350uF @ 450v) screw
terminal.  The Alpha people spec for a Cornell Dubilier part (CGS series) that
costs $40-50 each at various sources.  On the other hand I can buy a different
series (381LX) from Cornell Dubilier that has 330uF @ 450v with very similar
specs including tolerance, temperature, ripple, DC leakage and ESR .  These
would cost me $2 each.  The expensive ones are 5" long screw and the cheapo's
are 1 and 3/4" snap-in.  I think I can easily fabricate small screw down
double-sided copper thru-hole PCB adapter boards for the snap in's ...  Is
there another factor between these two electrolytic series that is not obvious
in the Cornell Dubilier spec sheets that should push me to the $300 set versus
the $14 set???

john