Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again

To: <w7ry@centurytel.net>, "amps" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solid State Relays Again
From: "Paul Hewitt" <wd7s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 16:32:31 -0800
Hi Jim
I hear RTTY contest and I have to ask the obvious, are you using a heat sink or just the panel of the enclosure?? Are you using active or passive cooling in the enclosure?? I would also ask if both sides of the SSR is protected by MOV's per Crydom's recommendations?? Mouser sells the book, "Solid-State Relay Handbook" from the Crydom company, less than $20. It has very interesting information and is recommended reading for any application of a SSR

I've been using these in all my amps for over 10 years as well have a few commercial manufacturers. I can't speak for them but I have no failures. I have deliberately shorted my HV supplies several times testing the IP overload operation of the triode board, again no problems. I know of no other relay fast enough to make the IP overcurrent protection comply with Eimac's application bulletin #17. The only problem I have ever had with the SSR's is not having the minimum load on the relay with the cap input power supplies during stand-by. The relay will turn off and on at 60hz, (hum). I usually add some shunt resistance to the primary of the transformer and all is well.

vry 73,  Paul

PAUL HEWITT
WD7S PRODUCTIONS
QRO HOMEBREW COMPONENTS