Re: [Amps] Duty cycle for processed SSB in contest conditions?

To: <conrad@g0ruz.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Duty cycle for processed SSB in contest conditions?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:46:40 -0500
Youre to be commended for this as most of the SS amps I hear on VHF/UHF sound worse than on CB plus the low noise floor makes it even more destructive to others on the band.

About a 25% duty cycle is considered the base line without processing and 50% is already overdoing it. About a -30db IMD3 is considered the minimum considering even ceramic tetrodes can do that or better and some triodes get to around -45 dB.

Of even more importance is what are the other IMD's out to say 5-10 KHz or so. Some SS stays pretty flat for a long way out.

Also consider the exciter which in many cases has horrendous phase noise plus high IMD out of the box without even processing.

Carl
KM1H

----- Original Message ----- From: "Conrad Farlow" <conrad@g0ruz.com>