Re: [Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] QRO operation into a 80 meter vertical
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:17:31 -0800
On 2/21/2014 6:25 AM, Mark Beckwith wrote:
How do you measure current in radials (Sorry I'm sure that's a dumb question, but I don't know how to measure current in radials).

In addition to K2VCO's response, let's add another dimension to the question. A radial is part of the antenna, and like any antenna, the current varies along the antenna (near zero at the open end, maximum a quarter wave from the end). There's plenty of published work (careful good science) showing that the current in most real world radial systems does not divide equally between the radials, but depends on what's near each radial. I've learned a lot studying N6LF's excellent website on the topic of radial systems. Something like ten years ago, I also found some great stuff on the ARRL website where a couple of guys measured current at many points along multiple radials. I don't know if it's still there.

73, Jim K9YC