Re: [Amps] 4CX5000A in grounded-grid

To: Hsu <hsu4qro@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX5000A in grounded-grid
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 18:06:49 +0000
  Yes, most of the drive power is fed thru to the output.
However, one problem with these tetrodes is that if both grids have he
same applied voltage the control grid will dissipate more power than the
screen grid rather than the other way around. Since there is no way to
tell how much current each is drawing you can't tell when you are getting
into trouble.
  However, it does look like the amp builder will be operating at a lower
power level.
  There was an article in QST, the first I believe, where 4x150A tubes were
operated in grounded grid with both grids grounded. However, they were
operated an reduce power.
  A month or two later it was followed up by an article by Bill Orr where
he stated that this was not a good idea for the 4x and 4cx series tubes.
  I did know a guy, he is SK now was experimenting with different tubes in
grounded grid and he tried four 4cx250A in grounded grid, both grids at zero
bias,
and fried them. He tried a lot of other tubes. The most impressive was four
4-65A tubes. The plates were glowing red orange and then even hotter. As
he increased the drive.

73
Bill wa4lav