[Amps] tetrodes operating VHF, common grid

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] tetrodes operating VHF, common grid
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 23:17:32 -0600
4CX5000A isn't a great VHF tube, Eimac 4CX3500A is better due to lower cathode lead inductance and shorter height. I did a comparison of the 4CX3500A in grounded grid (with bias) and grounded cathode, at 100 MHz. Built both circuits and tested them. It got published in one of the old NAB handbooks, as well as an app note from Broadcast Electronics in the early 1980s. I may still have a copy if anyone asks.

These days I design amps with grounded grid tetrodes at VHF. Bias to the screen and control grid is still provided, only RF grounded in cavity circuits. I get power gains of 25x (~14-15 dB) and decent efficiencies of 58-64% using the TH781 and TH628. These are large tubes, but the principle is the same. The 628 can run up to 5 amps of screen and grid current without damage, with pyrolytic graphite grids.

73
John
K5PRO