[Amps] Filament Growth Question

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Filament Growth Question
From: John Lyles <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 22:19:01 -0600
Matt
You are likely correct that grain refinement is leading to brittleness in old filaments. I don't understand the metallurgy. 20 years ago I heard from RCA that high anode dissipation led to grain growth in the copper anode which then would fail to the point where water could leak into vacuum. I also have some photos of filaments made with electron microscopy and they appear to have enlarged grains.

Message: 4