[Amps] low pass filter fail

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] low pass filter fail
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 02:17:38 -0700
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 21:49:47 +0000
From: Benedikt Sveinsson <benedikt@ok.is>
To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>

I have been building a 2M SSPA - final part in the puzzle has been the low pass
filter.

After building this filter, copied the design from W6PQL - but I have limited
resources here in TF land, so I don't have access to good PCB materials. But
the filter was measured using a mini VNA Pro analyser with good results.  1:1.2
SWR on the operating frequency and cuttoff starts around 150Mhz

well, after transmitting about 10s I noticed a drop in output power, I took the
cover off and aimed the camera while transmitting

This is what happened on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lU3I3BgmkE

I suspect there is something else wrong, as this happened very fast 10-15s -
and solder melts!

Guess I will go and find teflon sheets and make my own capacitors with copper ;)

73, Benni TF3CY

##  Do you really require a LP filter ?   You could also use a .25 wave long
coax stub..with far end shorted.   You can also add additional stubs etc.
Paralleling caps is the real answer to your exploding cap problem.  2-4 caps in
parallel  would be the ideal ticket.   Your typ 2m ant will only be resonant on
its 3 and 5th harmonic.   You can make stubs that will kill odd harmonics if I
remember correctly. W2VJN has a good book on stubs.

## Parallel some caps..and you wont have any more issues.   I have used the
teflon sheeting sandwiched between 2  aluminum plates,,and that works superb...
provided it is constructed correctly.

##  I like the idea of a LP filter......... then it kills everything beyond the
cutoff freq.   A bandpass filter would even be better.    You could also use a
LP filter
for TX....and a low power bandpass filter...for RX only.

Jim  VE7RF