Re: [Amps] low pass filter fail

To: "jtml@vla.com" <jtml@vla.com>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] low pass filter fail
From: Benedikt Sveinsson <benedikt@ok.is>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:52:31 +0000
Thanks for all the good ideas

I had concerns that the 2nd/3rd harmonics where abnormally strong
(overdrive.. Etc),But after looking at the output both of the K3 and
the amplifier on a spectrum analyser, I¹m certain Nothing is out of
the ordinary. I see that the K3 output is very clean And the raw
output of the amp is ok - 2nd is -23dBc and 3rd is -23dBc. But
Bear in mind that I used the directional coupler to measure the output
And the coupling ratio changes with higher frequency. (I assume)

I decided to buy a Low pass filter designed by F5CYS - uses PFTE spacers
To make capacitors and is rated well above the KW level. I gave up finding
the
Proper material here in Iceland.

Taking a better look at the failed LPF - it appears the heat was generated
in
The PCB material - not the coil as the underside of the copper was burned.

Other than that - the amplifier is performing very well and will be pushed
On JT65 when I get the LPF - and some antennas pointing to the moon!

73, Benni TF3CY