Re: [Amps] 3-500Z pin comes unsoldered

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500Z pin comes unsoldered
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 02:47:09 -0400
Many, not all 3-500 amps have a problem with overheating filament pins and melting solder, This is primarily an air flow problem. NOTE, once the tube socket pins have over heated, they are likely shot.

I'll defer to Carl and others who know which ones, why, and how to fix them..

" I presume" someone built an amp that way, it looked like a good way, which it wasn't, so many copies followed. Who was first, who is bad, and who is good, I'll leave to the guys that know.

But it does appear to be a copied design. After all, there are not many variations in the way you can mount those glass jugs.

My 2K4 had a LARGE blower under the chassis, blowing directly up on the sockets. It seemed to work well.

73

Roger (K8RI)