Re: [Amps] Experience with Heart Pacemakers?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Experience with Heart Pacemakers?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 18:13:27 -0400
On 8/2/2014 5:57 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 8/2/2014 12:07 PM, Carl wrote:
Put the amp in another room or seperate it from you by a grounded screen wall/enclosure....never give up the amp!

A grounded screen wall/enclosure shields only the electric field and the EM field. It is completely ineffective for magnetic shielding, and that's the potential hazard of the amp.

Jim, most "present day" cardiac pace makers and defibrillators are pretty much immune to RF except at their link and internal operating frequencies. The ones developed by Cleveland clinic, which I have had no limitations as to ham radio frequencies, or welding. They did recommend routing the cables away from your core.

Typically the cables would run lengthwise with your body. They recommended not to do that, but to bring them in from the side. They actually have a tutorial on welding.

The only real restriction was to not carry a cell phone in your shirt pocket over the pacemaker/defib. I've been welding, using a plasma torch and operating HF for nigh onto 10 years with no problems.
BTW the amp is between 2 to 3 feet from me.

73

Roger (K8RI)

73, Jim K9YC