Re: [Amps] HV Diodes

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV Diodes
From: Glen Zook via Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 07:29:29 -0700
Who is paying 9.99-cents for a 1N4007?  I pay 2-cents for them in 100 quantity.
 I keep a drawer full to use anywhere I need a silicon power diode.

I was paying like 10-cents each for 1N5408.  However, they recently went to
12-cents each.  Again, in quantity of 100.  I have another drawer full of those
diodes.

Being retire, and on a "fixed budget", I don't like to squander money.
However, $2.00 for a quantity of 1N4007 and $12.00 for a quantity of 1N5408 is
not going to "kill me"!  Being able to open a parts drawer and have something
to do the job at hand, is certainly worth it!

As to which diode to use:  It depends!  I don't like to have to repair
equipment so I do tend to "go overboard" sometimes with the parts used.  But,
not that far from the boat!  If, for some reason, I don't have the desired part
right then, I may go ahead and used a "heavier" part just to get things going.
However, that is for convenience and not for any financial reason.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.net