Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 using 4CX1500B - why?

To: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@t-online.de>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 8410 using 4CX1500B - why?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:20:06 -0400
And in North America the emphasis has been on both types as both have their uses in broadcasting and in communications where the latter mostly use grid driven with low power driver stages and large stage gains....unlike hams who are happy with 10-13dB.

For ham amps the tetrode makes little sense with its poor AB1 (closer to A) efficiency for acceptable IMD and having to burn most of the drive in a resistor. Cheap cheap Russian surplus was the only reason and then it dried up for the most part.

Pretty soon we will all be using whatever the Chinese give us. I cant see Europe doing any new development and Eimac is basically a replacement business.

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww@t-online.de>